Connecting the Dots in an Unconnected World

Friday, May 15, 2009

A Wonderful Evening


Last night Ruthi and I were honored to attend a patriotic program performed by second graders at Ashton Elementary school where our daughter Marci, an ASL certified interpreter, works with deaf and hard of hearing children. It was one of the finest experiences of the year.

I was both humbled and challenged by the boys and girls. Marci works with 5 deaf and hard of hearing children who performed special music during the concert. One of her boys did a solo. What a blessing to see the joy and courage of these children.

As I sat and enjoyed the concert I experienced several emotions. First, I was very proud of Marci (I am also very proud of Ralph and Steven) and the work God has chosen for her. Her love for her children and her commitment to her craft is obvious. The work she is doing is making a difference in the lives of the families of these precious children. One parent shared, “It is wonderful to be able to enjoy a program without having to interpret.”

Second, I was reminded of how fortunate I have been in life. Some of these children go to homes where no one in the family has sign language skills. They live in an environment where no one is capable of communicating with them. I shall make an honest attempt to not take for granted my blessings.

Third, I reaffirmed my gratitude for America and those dear men and women who have laid their lives on the line for my freedom. The program was about our soldiers who fight for us. At one point during the program the second graders performed a reenactment of the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima. This was a very emotional moment for me. Our dear church member, Ralph Nifong, was present on Iwo Jima when the flag was raised. Freedom has been purchased and kept at great cost. These are the true heroes and role models in life.

But, my list of heroes has now grown by five boys and girls who have the courage to face a life that shall always be filled with challenges. Five boys and girls who need caring teachers and adult leaders to guide them. Five boys and girls that need compassionate adults to mentor them.

Thank you boys and girls for reminding this old preacher of the greatness of the land we call America.

Attempting to connect the dots…

Wayne
Romans 1:16

Quotable:
“Children will not remember you for the material things you provided but for the feeling with which you cherished them.”
- Richard L. Evans

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

website hit counter
website hit counters